Another orange recipe because we have so many oranges at the moment. This is one of those salads that is a meal in itself. The sweet prunes and oranges combined with the crunchy celery and seeds is delicious! Add in the quinoa for some extra superfood punch and you have one healthy lunch.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 5 oranges
- 1 large cooked chicken breast or two small ones. (I poached mine in a pan of water for 20 minutes)
- 1/2 cup pitted prunes
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 3 sticks celery sliced into 1cm/.5 inch pieces
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1tbs apple cider vinegar
- Rinse the quinoa and cook in 1.5 cups water plus 1/2 cup of orange juice. Bring to the boil then lower the heat and cover. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes on low heat until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Put the pumpkin seeds into a dry pan and toast over high heat, shaking them around the pan often. Once most of the seeds are coloured remove from the heat.
- Slice the skin off the oranges. Cut the peeled oranges into thin rounds.
- Meanwhile chop up the cooked chicken breast and cut the prunes in halves or quarters.
- Add the chicken, oranges, prunes, pumpkin seeds, celery and quinoa to a salad bowl.
- Make the dressing by whisking together in a small bowl the remainder of the orange juice, olive oil and apple cider vinegar. Pour over the salad and toss.