These muffins are beautiful and moist. If you omit the frosting they are free of processed sugar. The maple syrup, pear and spices give a lovely sweetness that will please the sweetest tooth. Lovely with an almond milk latte for a warming morning tea.
Ingredients (Makes 12)
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1.5 tsp bicarb of soda
- 0.5 tsp baking powder
- 1.5 tsp pumpkin spice blend
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 large pear, grated
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp grated orange rind
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Prepare 12 muffin cases or grease a 12 hole muffin tray.
- Mix together the first 5 ingredients (all the dry ingredients) in a large bowl.
- Break the eggs into another bowl and lightly beat with a fork.
- Add the cool pumpkin puree, grated pear and maple syrup to the eggs and mix with a fork.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with a large metal spoon until just combined.
- Spoon into muffin cases until 3/4 full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Once cool ice with orange cream cheese frosting.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Beat until smooth and fluffy.